Monday, February 2, 2009

First serious failure

well as much as I hoped to post a nice shiny lathe chuck in aluminium on today's post I have to admit I have nothing... Absolutely nothing..

I thought I'd use an old Volkswagen beetle engine as the donor scrap for this project.. but it turns out that beetle engines were made from an alloy of magnesium and aluminium. It did make some really great fireworks but nothing usable, so I'll have to get some other scrap to try.

This is the magnesium just oxidizing, bear in mind this in broad day light... the camera tries to auto adjust the levels and that is why it looks dark.




The light created by the magnesium oxidizing is just the whitest brightest light you can imagine. Although it was a massive failure It did entertain.



























The aftermath....

Well after a good 20 minutes the flaming magnesium burned itself out, and the resultant magnesium "rust" was nothing but a pile of white powder... which stuck to the inside of the crucible so that will have to be chipped away... I tried a ingot cast but that came out wrong... though I must say this ingot does have some really cool properties It weighs next to nothing and it looks powdery, but it's quite strong.




Messed up ingot...




















My poor crucible... I hope I get all this out with a chipping hammer.. it's really stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment