Friday, February 6, 2009

Got some new aluminium

Well It's been almost a full week with no progress. I was looking for some good metal to use in the melt, and finally a good Samaritan helped me out with an aluminium rim. I cut out 2 pieces to test if it's actually aluminium or again some weird concoction.

















I started up the Furnace and after some adjusting it ran beautifully.


If you look carefully you'll see the chunks of rim in the crucible.












5 minutes later.......


I turned down the flames and voila! molten aluminium.














The Aluminium in the Ingot mold right after the pour. I should have used more metal to fill up the whole thing, but the idea was just to test whether it actually was usable aluminium in that rim.










...Nice and shiny




After about 20 minutes cooldown. I now have a piece that will be perfect to remelt later ...
















I really want to start casting something useful this weekend, Hopefully on Monday there will be some big updates again. The worst hold up has been the rain. It is very very dangerous to do this when it's wet outside.. Steam is around 1600 times "bigger" than the water used to make it. so one cubic millimeter of water will be 1.6 cubic meters when it flash boils .. that difference makes it possible for concrete to explode!!! ... Yeah EXPLODE!!! ... so taking care is very important...

No comments:

Post a Comment