Thursday, February 19, 2009

Buildup of the Big CNC machine.

Right since I cast some parts for my big CNC machine this weekend it's only fair I make a post about the buildup as well I suppose.

01 : The Frame

The frame is just a few bits of angle iron welded up to make a nice sturdy frame. I welded to pieces of square tubing to the frame which will be the X-Axis rails.






This picture already has the whole gantry assembly attached.. I didn't take any pictures of welding up the frame since that was around 3 years ago.

Just note the angle iron frame and the square tubing rails.


02 : The X-axis bearing runners.
This is all still very experimental, as in I hope it works... Well here is what I did.

First I took a 200mm piece of stock square bar and drilled the holes for the bearings to attach to.
These holes where then tapped and the bearings attached using a lock nut as a spacer between the bar and the bearing.









Hope you get the idea of what's going on here.


This will make for a very sturdy 90 degree rolling surface with the square tube rails I have on the frame.

Here is the runner on a angle iron to show how it will run on the rail.









Okay I didn't take any pictures of how I fixed that setup to the frame so I hope with these you'll be able to see what I did.















So there you have it my take on a linear bearing .. homemade. I hope it's as precise as It feels when I move it by hand.


The first picture in this post shows the complete x axis linear bearing system with the gantry attached.

03 : The Y and Z axis runner (linear bearing)

The Y and Z axis bearings are tied together and is just the same as the X axis bearings except that they both run on a single piece of square tubing instead of 2 like the x axis. there is a total of 8 bearings for each of these axis so my calculations say that they will hold up under the stress since the load are quite evenly spread.

Here is how I made the linear bearings.




The Y axis running on 40 mm square tube rail.

















The Z axis running on 40 mm square tube rail.













Here is a picture of the whole bearing assembly for both the Y and Z axis.













04 : The Complete deal

Here is the complete linear moving stage of the gantry router so far.


Everything runs smoothly there is no noticeable racking. I will have to reinforce the gantry uprights though. they are causing a slight wobble when the axis move and come to a stop. the inertia in the z axis still wants to keep going. That will be sorted out at a later stage.













well that is what I have so far... in this post we've completed the linear movement.. in the next post we'll start with the linear actuation.

keep checking in....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this excellent article. One other thing is that a lot of digital cameras come equipped with the zoom lens that enables more or less of your scene to get included by means of ‘zooming’ in and out. All these changes in concentration length are usually reflected while in the viewfinder and on significant display screen right at the back of the specific camera. cnc machining parts

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future.. CNC machine

    ReplyDelete