Monday, February 16, 2009

First real usable parts

OK, here we go again...

After last weekend's failures I realized the biggest problem I'm facing is the runners, there is a whole section of science dedicated to that topic. So in my quest to see what works and what doesn't I made some simple brackets to be used on the big CNC machine I'm building. Difference is; this time I'm cutting the parts out with the runner already attached, then once the casting is done I can simply cut them off. This has 2 advantages.. one I don't have to glue odd pieces onto the casting, since it's styrofoam no glue with any sort of solvent works, so the glues that do work isn't really all that good. 2nd I don't have to cut the damn things out after the part is cut out.. I hate styrofoam!!! it gets everywhere and on everything.

so this is the parts after I cut them out. I only need 2 of the top ones and 1 of the bottom ones, but hey at least that way I can try a few times even if I do have failures.















This is the parts after I dipped them in the plaster... now the wait for them to dry out.















Well about 24 hours later it was time to start up that furnace again. I'm getting to a point now where I can start pouring in around 20 minutes...

Crucible with molten aluminium.. From here it gets poured into the foamy which is completly covered in sand.











Damn I love these pictures showing the aluminium flowing out of the crucible... I'm still kinda amazed that with a pile of junk I'm turning a once properly messed up rim into things that will go onto my cnc mill.


The pour...












And then again that agonizing wait to see if the part came out successfully... being too hasty will warp the part since the aluminium has not set yet, and being over cautious will end in a heart attack... coz really what the hell is going on in that sand!!!!


I pour the sand into a stainless steel trough that I have around, that way new sand don't have to be sifted every time.










The moment of truth!!!!


Happy days!!! It seems to have worked!!













And voila!! here is the two different parts I cast, this is after a rinsing under the tap to get rid of the plaster.


This one will be used on the Z axis of the mill.

















I cast 2 of these they will by used on the Y axis.















During this week I will start praparing the parts I cast to be put on the machine will keep you guys posted.

See you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment