Monday, January 19, 2009

FIRE!!!! Testing the burner.

Right ... Last time we built the burner assembly. Now it's time to test it.

I wish I had the furnace at hand to test the burner, but alas it's still drying... and taking it's sweet time.

So seeing as I don't have the furnace, I'll be using a normal coffee can. Keep in mind it's just to test whether the burner actually work.

I cut a hole in the coffee can, big enough to fit the burner nozzle and then I made a small fire in the can using wood lying around..

After things are heated up properly i open the valve to let the oil in, you can definitely hear the oil is vaporizing in the chamber, it's sort of sputtering to life...

Open the valve a little more ... it's still sputtering, more frequently now, but makes a helluva lot of smoke ... give it more oil!!!



OMG!!!! it's ALIVE!!!! It sounds like i just ignited a rocket engine. there is a definite difference in the ambient temperature around the area, this thing burns!!


NB! Note how far away I had to place the blower away, if I have it any closer it start blowing the glowing embers right out of the can.

Also I didn't hook up the oil tank and the feeder pipe, I simply put the valve at the burner and attached a plastic top to hold the oil... this is just a test to see if the burner ignites.




Another burn picture. See the tank assembly lying to one side... that will be used later.
















If you click on the pictures look at the can you'll see it turned a nice red, and that was after about 10 seconds from opening the oil and finding the right mixture. I immediately shut it off, I didn't want the can to melt through and light the whole suburb alight.


... next i will have to fire with the furnace.

No comments:

Post a Comment